Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Long Road To Philly



The Long Road To Philly

550 miles from the house to the Children Hospital of Philadelphia-I have driven this route many times. I have left the house early, mid morning, afternoon, and late at night. Each time has been a different trip. I have rode the bus, took a plane, and most often driven myself. I have learned many things on the road to Philly. 

The trip up to Philly lends itself to many things patience, time to think, time to cry or vent, time to get yourself together. Ten hours was my average travel time, this was a blessing and a curse. Some trips it was all I could do not to drive super fast. Other times I wish I had more time to collect my thoughts, one of the hardest things about have a very sick boy is taking time to think is not easy.

I think it is good to take time for reflection. It helps me greatly to take time alone to just be, not thinking on anything just for letting my mind go. A long car trip is perfect for this. I was able to yell, cry, beg, plead, sing, be silly or whatever I needed to do at the time. This time for me was just what I needed so I could be the supportive husband and dad that I needed to be.

On one trip back from the hospital I ran into a snow storm. I knew it was coming and was trying to beat it back home so I could go back to work. I was driving the Buick and the Buick was not the best choice for the snow. I stopped at a rest area just to enjoy the sight of these huge snow flakes falling. It was a wonderful sight, nature at one of her best times. I started back down the interstate and realize I may not make it. Lucky for me an angel in the form of an eighteen wheeler was sent my way and as the big rig made his way south so did I.


Philadelphia has been so very good to the Keeton family. I can not thank Philly enough and all the people back home and around the world who has helped my family you guys are our secret weapons. Without your help and support we would not have been able to do what we did. Thank you to everyone.

Now it is time for your challenge. What do you want to read about next. I need comments. I need lots of people to read this so please share, but also throw me a comment below. So until next time Hang on, Hang in, and Don't quit.


AK

No comments:

Post a Comment