Friday, June 26, 2015

You Are Not The Wife I Married!






And I Love That.



I have been married almost 11 years. Just to think about that is amazing. How have I been so lucky to marry a woman who would put up with me for nearly 11 years?   Insane right? At first we where just two kids in love, with the world at our finger tips. Then, we grew up when faced with a terminally ill child.  Lately, we have been learning to love again after the death of our son Weston.

Julie and I met on her birthday. I knew from the moment I meet her I wanted to marry her. She was fun, smelled good, and looked great (also she had an it factor). I had to pursue her pretty hard but she was no match for my sweet, shy self. I was able to win her over with my dashing good looks and charm. We were happy and in love with one child and another on the way.

After our second son was born, on his ninth day birthday, we found out he had a heart defect and our lives have never been the same. But, Julie and I where able to stiffen ourselves and move past the diagnosis. We pulled together and bonded over our joint struggle to keep our son alive. It was not an easy thing to do but with her great strength I was able to do what I needed to do and support our family.

Our struggle was lost when Weston died. This was one of the worst days of my life. It sucked. Julie was there with me and I was there for her. Together we have been picking up a new struggle, the struggle to continue on even when life kicks you in the nuts. It has not been easy. We have been on the edge of divorce. We have both had bad days and good days. 

On my wedding day, I married the girl of my dreams. Little did I know, what a journey we would be going though. I am amazed everyday at Julie's strength, resolve, character, and ability to put up with me. I have heard it said many times "that behind every great man is an even greater woman". I would have to say that my take would be "beside of this man stand the greatest woman" because after everything we have been through we both stand next to each other. 

Just because life has not been nice to you does not mean you can just lay around and whine.  The woman I married nearly 11 years ago is not the woman I see everyday, and I love that. Julie has grown into the most wonderful of wife and is truly my best friend. So, if life gets you feeling down remember Hang in, Hang on, and Don't quit.

AK

2 comments: