Sunday, April 12, 2015

Why I Decided to Speak Up.

Why I Decided to Speak Up.

This will be my first official post. Why have I decided to speak up? Why now? First I needed to grieve, and I could not do that publicly. I also needed for my family and me to get back into the groove of being a family. The final reason has been I just feel that Dads get left out of the whole sick kid thing.

We lost our son when he was seven-after seven years of struggles. My wife and I lived apart for three years. I had to return home to work and she stayed to care for our son. Our other kids, we have eight, yes eight, total had to be bounced around between family and friends. It was a crazy life but it was our life.

So, for just over a year now we have been getting our act together and learning to live as a family again. This and dealing with the loss of a child. We have been blessed to have a local church that has an Awana program that has allowed my wife and I time to spend on dates. We have been married almost 11 years now and these dates have saved our marriage.

I am not sure what you know about heart kids but they are great. Their courage and grit is amazing. The stuff they endure is beyond image. Heart Moms, oh look out if you ever cross one, they are a fiery breed. They will fight the world most know doctors to get their kids the treatment they need. Then, you have the siblings, they are a tough bunch too. The Dads to me are the forgotten ones. Which, lets face it, sometimes us dads can't handle it and walk away or whatever. For the ones who are there or at least there in sprit, I salute you. You go and fight just as hard and are kind of left out.

That is why I am doing this-to give a voice to Heart Dads everywhere. Just to let you know, hey I have been there and you are doing just fine. I want to give others a place to come and know you are not alone. Heart Dads are out there.  So until next time Hang on, Hang in, and Don't quit.


AK 

No comments:

Post a Comment