Sunday, June 28, 2015

Bitter Sweet Memories








Do you like to hike? I do and I love to hike with the family. I love the idea of experiencing new exciting outdoor things with the ones that are closest to me. So today we took a hike with the whole family, thats right Julie and I and all 7 children (10 down to 9 months). Crazy right, we made it, we did about a mile and half and all went pretty well. It was fun, exciting, and above all it was a memory maker.

This day makes me remember before Weston was in Philadelphia, back when I would drag him along on my hikes. Weston loved to go with me on hikes, well he loved the idea. I would always end up carrying him and he would revel in being carried. 

Father's Day one year Julie and I thought, "Hey I got a great idea" lets hike around the lake at Bays Mountain. This is about 2.3 miles and a nice scenic walk around Kingsport reservoir on a fairly nice hiking path. Easton our oldest was about 2, Weston was one and half, and Julie was pregnant with Emery. We took a stroller and all was well until we hit the trail. The trail was not, I repeat not, set up for strollers, toddlers, or pregnant angry women. This was a long, hot, and argue filled trip (I think Julie thought maybe she should divorce me just to avoid future trips like this. lol) We where able to survive and stay married so all was well.

A few years later we made a trip to Laurel Falls in Hampton, TN. This time instead of going in blind we researched the hike and learned it was and easy almost level hike except for the last 3 tenths of a mile. Three tenths of a mile how bad can that be. Well let me tell you it was horrible. We walk in and get to the last three tenth and we are looking at a decent down this large stone steps for the next three tenths. The steeps where LARGE, especially for the little kids. We made it and the kids where able to play in the water and had a great time. Then, we looked back up the steps of doom. I carried one on my back and one on my front for most of the trip back up these steps. At the the top was a large rock kinda like a table, where I promptly laid down and tried to die. By the end of this hike, we where both carrying one child or two and a nice lady we meet was carrying another. Again, Julie (my non-outdoorsy wife) had thoughts of leaving me.  I think and after that one I didn't blame her. We made great memories again and survived but just barely. 

Now ever time the family goes on a hike I have feeling of bitter sweetness. I am reminded of the times we had Weston along and even though I would have to carry him a lot he always had a great time. Oh, and today I don't think Julie wanted to divorce me, I must be getting better at picking more family friendly hikes. As a family we made many a memory on the trail, not just the hiking trail but also on the trail of life. I encourage you to always take life by the horns and go forth in life and make mistakes, get messy, and above all make memories. Never forget to Hang on, Hang in, and Don't quit.



AK

No comments:

Post a Comment