Saturday, May 16, 2015

It's the Small Things




It's the Small Things


Do you want to run a 5k? Of course, I would love to watch you. This is how my wife talked me into a 5k. I would have never guessed how one simple thing could bring so many smiles. First I got to see the lady and one of my great friends who also introduced Julie and me. Then, I completed my first 5k in honor of Leia my great friend. (oh by the way I just walked it but hey that's a start) We finished with a taste of barbecue.

It warms my heart to see friends and my friend Leia is a very special one. She was one of my buddies from High School. I burnt her with a car lighter and she is still my friend (on accident). She introduced Julie and I. To say Leia helped start it all, is not saying to much. She is also one of my heroes as she fights cancer and does it with style. Just being ask to walk this with her was a great honor. (oh she ran it, I know I am a wuss)

5k race? who would have thought it?  not this guy. I learned to drive and have tried to forget how to run. This was the SPF 5k to raise awareness of melanoma. I would have never guess how much fun this would have been. Julie, Kinley, and I ready ourselves not knowing what to expect. (Kinley is our baby) My goal was smile finish and not be last. Mission accomplished and under a hour. Julie and I had time to look at our great city of Kingsport and to talk. It is always a good thing when we can do something together and talk. It was hot as the sun bet down on us, trying to break our spirit, but we pushed on. At the end Julie and I finished together to the cheers of the crowd (OK maybe 10 people).

Afterwards we met up with Leia and the faster ones of our group for some photos and good times. They were having a barbecue tasting, can you say yummy. This is how we roll in my home town you do a 5k and then eat barbecue until you can not eat anymore. We where able to try ribs from lots of different places. My most favorite thing was called "atomic buffalo turd" best thing ever. It was a jalapeno with cream cheese and meat filling, wrapped in bacon and if that's not good enough it was smoked to perfection. The ribs where also mouth watering. I wish you could have been there to smell it.

I know what your thinking what does this have to do with my heart, I will tell ya just hang in there. Weston loved to do things with people to be out having fun doing new things. Weston also had a warm place in his heart for Leia. She was always a fun person to hang with. The 5k gave me some time to miss Weston in a good way and think of some good times. Seeing Leia also brought back such good memories from high school, to meeting Julie, to playing with the kids. It just all warmed my heart. Weston also loved trying new foods. A barbecue tasting would have been right up his alley. With a name like "atomic buffalo turd" I know Weston would have been smiling (I know I was).

So, today, I was reminded to take the time for life as you live it. Do not be afraid to try new things. Old friends are good for the soul. Cancer sucks but we knew that. Time with your wife is never wasted and even better if there is barbecue. I challenge you to do something this month, do something new, do something big or small, just do something and post it below and lets see what we all can do. As always Hang on, Hang in, and Don't quit.


AK

No comments:

Post a Comment